Computer Questions
I'm not really sure if I can post a thread asking this question, but I'm in need of advice and I figure "Where else but a gaming community, they'll know better then anywhere else on the internet and can help" so if I shouldn't have done this, I apologize.  Angel

So my questions, I'm looking to get a 'gaming' desktop, and I've been checking out the Alienware X51 R3 and the Alienware X51 R2, are these good, or is there a better computer out there? My second question requires a bit of background, I've been using a iMac from mid 2010 for all my needs, and it's been slowing down and it's a pain to play some of the more fast paced games, hence why I've been looking to get a gaming computer so I can still use my iMac for school and personal use, however before I got my computer, I was using my grandfathers mac, so it's been close too 10 years (I'm 18) since I've used a 'PC' and I have almost no clue what I need when I buy a PC. So my second and final question is, what all do I need (like anti-virus software?) for if/when I buy a 'gaming' computer?
I'm pretty new at the more hardware side of computers and video games, because while I had an interest all my life, I never really had the resources until now to actually research and learn to my hearts content, so for the most part I've followed my grandfathers lead on sticking to Apple and Mac's, and now I can branch out.
Again, I apologize if I shouldn't have posted this on this thread or maybe I shouldn't have posted this at all and I'm doing something wrong. Confused
[Image: ulapdo7ac02.gif]
HOTS Logs Player Profile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kwimen's post:
  • da1geek
There are a lot of things to consider when making a good gaming desktop. Reddit/r/buildapc, for example, is a great place to do some research, get some feedback from the community and ask questions. Even coming from a Mac background, Windows will be very similar. At the end of the day Apple uses the exact same hardware that a windows PC would (albeit more specific), just with a different operating system, and typically with a larger price tag. There are a few things I'd really need answered before I dive into "what type of build" and what parts you should use:

1. Do you plan on only using this for gaming? What other applications? Are their any CPU/Memory heavy applications like CAD or Adobe Premier Pro?

2. What type of resolution/monitor are you using? Have you budgeted for a certain type? This can make a huge difference. Since you're gaming, what resolution or refresh rate you want to put out determines what you'll need to drive it. For example: 144Hz monitor will be much, much smoother than a typical 60Hz (and be able to actually render frames about 60FPS), but will require a great graphics card. Are you trying to drive 4k, 1080p, or 1440?

3. What is your budget? What do you want to spend?

4. Do you have a preference for size, noise, or cosmetics?

These are some of the big things to think about. If you would get back to us with some of the answers, I'd be more than happy to help you put together a more specific list of what you should get/need. 

With all this being said, and with out knowing too much about what you want in a PC, the X51 R2 does look better than the R1. However, bare in mind that Alienware was acquired by Dell a few years back and has really changed what it means to own an Alienware. Personally, I would never buy a pre-built PC. Looking at the specifications there, you're going to get a little bit better hardware building your own, not to mention you can chose which parts you are willing to spend more money on.
[Image: 12.6.gif]
"Never pull the trigger - until you know you can win."
Owner - Admin - Event Organizer
Thanks for the response! To answer your questions-
1) I would say I plan on trying to keep this PC only for gaming, and there probably wouldn't be anything like CAD on it. It would be mainly for personal gaming.

2) My resolution is 1440, I haven't really decided on a type or anything like that, I'm not truly picky, I'd probably stick to 1440.

3)I'd love to be able to spend $1500 or less, but I've just been researching computers below $2000.

4)No real preferences for size, noise or cosmetics. I'm pretty open on that regard.

The main reasoning behind looking at pre-built PC's is that I'm not really all that sure in how to go about building my own, never really had the interest or knowledge to go about that. I've always been a gaming geek, but never really had the interest in getting into the hardware area of computers. Now I'm like "Well I want the nice things I see on the internet, but I don't have the knowledge on how to get them" so any help on how I need to go about upping my tech knowledge is appreciated!  Heart
HOTS Logs Player Profile
Thanks for the feedback! That makes thing a lot easier. 

1. Welp, if it's just gaming that will make things a lot easier. What games are you trying to run? There's a pretty big difference between running a MOBA like LOL or running BF4/The Witcher. 

2. When you say 1440, do you mean 900x1400 or 2560x1440?

When you first consider building a PC, it sounds really intimidating - it's not. You'll have tons of people here who are more than willing to help you out (I'd even be willing to help you put one together virtually), not to mention other forums and resources. Plus, It's really not as bad as it sounds and WAY more rewarding (both in terms of performance and accomplishment!) Smile
The main games I've been playing lately have been HOTS and WoW, LoL runs so slowly for me it isn't even funny. I try to keep the more..graphic oriented games I suppose? like Witcher or battlefield on my Xbox or PS3 so I don't need to worry about my computer crashing on me for playing them so my computer game collection is sadly pretty small, although I'm planning on changing that. Tongue
I mean 2560x1440 when I say 1440 sorry. Undecided
HOTS Logs Player Profile
Phew! Okay. Running games at 1440 will definitely mean you'll need some power behind your build. So, just so I'm getting this right, your top budget is 1500, but anything you can do to keep it lower is ideal? If that's the case, I'll see what I can help you put together. You can easily get a PC that will SLAY HOTS, WOW and LOL - and also be able to perform close to 60FPS at 1440 with The Witcher and Battlefield (assuming you would play those on the PC if you could =P).
Yeah you got it boss! Sorry about not replying sooner, wasn't paying attention to my email alerts :/ but yeah, thanks for the help!
HOTS Logs Player Profile
No problem. I'll try to draw you up a build sometime this weekend that you can use for reference.
Another good place to go for computer build advice if you want to do some research and see what other people do is [/url][url=https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc]buildapc and for deals on parts, [/url][url=https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales]buildapcsales you can look at different parts and organize them together into builds using pcpartpicker.

Edit: Links were displaying weird.
Cool Cool. Thank you very much, both of you! =)
HOTS Logs Player Profile