Optimization Tips (Fix Bad FPS)
Ingame Settings
In my experience, some of these settings have a great impact on your FPS. While other settings don't. I'll only cover the ones that have a big performance impact. The most important ones are marked in red, although I recommend adjusting all of them. 

If your system is more powerful than mine, then go ahead and set what ever you want.
But the two things you dont want to mess with are:

• Sampling
  • Maxing out visibility

Visibility is the distance in game at which the engine will fade out objects in the distance.
The higer the visibility the further you can see objects at the horizon. 
I prefer 2500 for objects and overall. Just because my framerate is still very good and I can see enough to scan the environment for enemy snipers or vehicles. Also most servers are capping the visibility of the connected clients anyway, so 2500 should be enough. This does affect performance quite significantly. So you can adjust for performance. 

Anti Aliasing

You'll notice there are two AA sliders. (Excluding ATOC)
  • FSAA
  • PPAA

FSAA - Full Screen Anti Aliasing is a internal GPU render which has the biggest impact on performance of these two AA settings. Basically it renders an upscaled version of the current frame and scales it back down to the native resolution. This results in smoother edges. The higher the setting the more performance it will need.

PPAA - Post Process Anti Aliasing is an Anti Aliasing method which takes place after the current frame is processed. (post process) It's much, much cheaper in terms of performance. but can look blurry or can cause small artifacts.
You have 3 main options for PPAA with each of them has Pro's and Con's
  • SMAA: - Needs more performance than FXAA + Sharper edges and best looking.
  • FXAA: - Blurry and can have small artifacts + Least performance impact
  • CMAA: - Small artifacts + Middle between FXAA and SMAA, Optimized for Integrated GPU's
Both of these processes affect performance quite greatly. If you have a high-end GPU, I recommend leaving them at a medium to high setting (as they are not affected by CPU like many other settings). 

Startup Parameters
Here i'll explain and show you the startup parameters that will improve your performance.

You have 2 options to set the parameters. Through Steam's "launch options" menu or through the official ArmA 3 Launcher (Or any other third party ArmA launcher that has support for that). I highly recommend using Steam so that it will always use those startup parameters when the game is launched. Not just when it is through that launcher.

Startup Parameter List

-maxMem= (in MB) 
or

[Image: E856D020DBF420198895C7AFFA137576A0FBCD04]
This sets the max allowed amount of Ram that ArmA is allowed to use. Set this to half of your Ram

-maxVRAM= (in MB) 
or

[Image: DC01DA79C178FF008B3E4A5031C63FCDF4D4E830]
This sets the max allowed video card ram ArmA can use. Set it about the max ram of your card, but leave about 100MB for the OS.

-cpuCount= (1-4)
or

[Image: 1AEFEF665716C516F34F95BB51699D89FBCA4DCE]
Sets the number of cores used. You want to set this to the number of cores you have.

-exThreads= (0-7)
or

[Image: 9BD59A5EC040DB3EBD038E4D3452B9DC3914A2F8]
Set this to 7 if you have a Quadcore. and to 3 if you're running a Dualcore.
Although, this valure is autodetected, you can set i manually to be just really sure.

-malloc=system
or

[Image: EDEB5FE237F3F83F4CB0582677E3B2FE6B3BE7EC]
Just set it to system. This works just as it is.

Optimizing outside of ArmA 3
There are many ways to improve your performance though expernal applications, .cfg's and setting outside of ArmA.

Arma3.cfg

You'll find the Arma3.cfg inside your "Documents/Arma3" folder (C:User/Documents/Arma 3)

Open it with a text editor and search for the key: 
"GPU_MaxFramesAhead=" and "GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=".

Change thier value to "1"
Like this: 

[Image: B24360CE777E597EB609B7DE676E5EBC1CD4359A]

After that search for refresh= and change it to "120", "140", or "60" depending on what your monitor refresh rate is.
[Image: FD09FD376D02133D217214EDFD73D03A528093B0]

And if you haven't done it in engine then you also want to change "vsync=" to "0"
[Image: C918E31A5EFF5DA33A4B5E53A25B727F39CB2509]

Nvidia Control Panel

(Sorry AMD/ATI guys)

Open up the Nvidia control panel and select Arma 3 in 3D Settings

Change "Power management mode" to "Prefer maximum performance"

You also want to change "Maximum pre-rendered frames" to "1"

Leave everything else as it is.

Setting ArmA to high Priority

When ArmA 3 has loaded. Alt-Tab out, open your task manager.
Under "Processes" rightclick the arma3.exe and hover over "Priority".
There select "high"

This prioritizes ArmA 3 over the steam services and can lead to a small performance boost.

CPU Unparking

Another way to boost performance is to "unpark" your CPU cores. This (in my opinion) has the greatest impact on performance. Especially with AMD CPUs. 

Simply explained: Unparking CPU Cores means disabling Win7's CPU power saving feature.

You can visit the website from above and download a CPU unparking tool.
Or click here to downoad it directly. To use the unparking tool, just set all your cores to "disabled". This will prevent your cores from "slowing down" when your PC believes they're not in use. Unfortunately, there are games and applications that can benefit from having all cores at 100%, but don't tell your PC it needs the power. Arma 3 is a good example of this, and thus why we unpark our cores. 

Or use any other CPU unparking tool.

Credit for parts of this guide goes to the Steam Community. 
[Image: 12.6.gif]
"Never pull the trigger - until you know you can win."
Owner - Admin - Event Organizer